Replacing a commercial roof is a huge, disruptive, and expensive process and probably one you’d want to avoid for as long as possible. But without the proper regular maintenance, premature failure is an absolute certainty.
All roofing systems have a life expectancy and wear down over time due to exposure to the elements. Many, however, will fail long before their expected lifespan, mainly due to a lack of preventative maintenance.
Common Causes of Commercial Roof Leaks
- Poor or No Drainage
- Open Penetrations
- Damaged Roof Flashings
- Damaged Membrane
- Aged Roof
- Standing Water
Why Regular Roof Care is Vital
Commercial roof maintenance helps identify damages that, without intervention, will worsen over time and eventually cost owners more time, effort, and money. For example, professional roof maintenance can spot a simple issue, such as a blocked drain or downspout, before it leads to a problematic leak. Another important advantage to commercial roof maintenance is that it allows facility owners to manage the cost of smaller repairs over time versus having to deal with a major problem all at once. Here are some additional reasons roof maintenance is so important to your facility:
- A poorly maintained roof can be dangerous to the occupants
- Roof leaks can lead to structural problems
- A properly maintained roof helps maintain consistent indoor conditions
- Preventing leaks can prevent the growth of hazardous molds
What is Roof Maintenance?
- Inspection and touch-ups of any points of the roof that require sealing.
- Check for a smooth flow of water run-off by ensuring drains and downspouts don’t have any blockages or accumulated debris.
- A detailed scan of the surface of the roof to check for standing water, as well as cracks, gaps and missing parts in the material.
- Ensure all counter flashing is in place.
- A complete inspection of all the property’s walls in order to make extra sure that no moisture is entering the building.
- A check of all rooftop equipment like air conditioning units, ducts, vents, and skylights which are common points of leaking.
How Often Do Commercial Buildings Need Roof Maintenance?
In most cases, it is recommended that your roof be inspected twice a year, usually in spring and fall. Older roofing systems should be inspected more frequently, especially if you need frequent rooftop access for any reason.
Trust Sierra Group With Your Commercial Roof Maintenance Needs
Protecting the life of your roof means protecting your facility and your investment. With that in mind, we have developed a process that ensures the timely identification and correction of problems before they become bigger issues.
About Sierra Group
Sierra Group is a service-focused company specializing in Commercial Construction, Electronic Security, and Facility Services. Our highly skilled field technicians offer a wide range of services and are ready to help with projects of all scopes, or with our ongoing preventative maintenance programs.
When failure is not an option, the most demanding organizations trust Sierra Group to get the job done right.
David Garrison | division manager – facility services | Sierra Group
c 818.434.2918 | f 818.691.0657